Heads Up Decoy

Heads Up Decoy
Click on Heads Up Decoy Logo above to view website

Thursday, November 21, 2013

2013....Bitter and Sweet

I'm pretty sure there wasn't a more challenging year than 2013 for Heads Up Decoy. I entered the year literally full of my self...confident, cocky, and optimistic for the months ahead. Despite the planning and the projecting...things don't always go as planned.

It was apparent my torn up ankle was going to need major repair. High school and college athletics along with multiple sprains while in the field took it's toll and I no longer had a stable foundation to do the things I enjoy...bowhunting and playing with my kids. If things went well, I'd be out of the boot by mid April and hunt the first part in the boot.


The turkey season was a full of miscues, debacles, and mother nature not letting go of winter. The snow and cold was ridiculous and relentless. We had some bad hunts...and some not so bad hunts. I was unable to wrap a tag around a bird...something I didn't think possible with our history of proficiency with the Heads Up Turkey Decoy. However, I was witness to a great hunt with Prostaffer David Gillan. We called and decoyed a tom in from several hundred yards. He came on a "dead" run.


The late spring and summer brought a renewed optimism. Even though things with the company were challenging, bowhunting or thinking about bowhunting always makes things seem better...or less of a hassle.

The ankle was feeling okay and exercising regimes seemed to be working as I prepared for a 2013 Colorado elk hunt. With mother nature still being unfriendly, I bailed on my own hunt. I left Colorado in a rainy haze that resembled my confidence as a big game bowhunting, person, friend, husband, dad, and business owner. The question was, Am I washed up? Were my best days as a bowhunter gone...not that they were that great?


So many people write about redemption this or redemption that after a bad hunt, there was no redemption for me...I just wanted to start getting close to animals...then kill them. A feeling I don't get often. I enjoy the hunt. The kill is anti-climatic...but this industry can sometimes cloud the simple enjoyments of the things that started in the heart of a young bowhunter. Course, I wasn't getting close to anything...so my frustrations were mounting.

November was quickly upon me, family obligations, and limited time was adding to the pressure. Remember...I did not shoot a buck in 2012 or a turkey in the spring. I must be washed up. My shooting was way off...so far off...I changed bows in mid season. I could not go afield with confidence with my "old" bow. I was able to get a loner from our local dealer...which I now will have to purchase. A bow that fits me better and one that is way more comfortable. AND, one that seemed to hit everything I aimed at.

On the 10th of November, I was cruising a route on my way to town to meet up with my older brother who had decided McDonald's sounded better than hunting. I was not going to give up precious time afield so I took my time glassing historic haunts of great bucks...and what in my wandering eyes should appear...a GREAT buck in a perfect spot.

The plan was on...shoot that buck with the buck decoy in my bow mount with a Hoyt Spider I have shot 30 times...maybe...with a 15 mph wind. What was I thinking?...I wasn't. A confident bowhunter knew it just might work if I can get into position. When my pin stuck to the buck's vitals...it was over in an instance and confidence and belief in my ability restored. Even when things start out so bad...perseverance, family, friends, and a great product can see you through. I am blessed. Be Mobile...Stay Mobile. F.A.B.


1 comment:

  1. bow and arrow
    Legend Archery creates Top Quality Bow Cases, Camo Backpack, Hunting Backpacks, Compound Bow Cases and Archery Equipment at competitive prices.

    ReplyDelete