Heads Up Decoy

Heads Up Decoy
Click on Heads Up Decoy Logo above to view website

Sunday, April 13, 2014

In The Thick of It

Going back to the fall of 2012, I'd say I have been in a little bit of a bowhunting funk. The 2013 spring turkey season was the lowest. The weather did not seem to cooperate and I found myself pressing. There was some good moments during the turkey season, but selfishly, most of my memories revolve around my own missed chances.

On Friday April 11, 2014, I had the pleasure of hunting with my 6 year old boy. I was so proud of his effort, focus, and desire to hunt turkeys. We hunted outside of a traditional blind setting. I had a great time...sure I had a couple of impatient dad moments :-). Kaleb had a few moments when he protested the pace and few times that he expressed his opinion that I should shoot even though the birds were 150 yards out because an arrow can go a long way...it was a great and memorable experience. We saw a ton of turkeys too. That helps.



This past weekend, it was good to relive the days when the turkey decoy was almost 100% effective with multiple shot opportunities and close encounters. There are days when everything goes right and on Saturday, things worked...but it took some work and patience. Myself and prostaffer David Gillan were able to get into birds at will. We took advantage of a great, but hot, spring day...and the turkeys cooperated.

Most of the birds were on the adjacent property. What we did was back off the property line and laid down sequences of hen calls. Once the birds crossed the property line, they were able to see the decoy mounted to the bow. In my opinion, it's good ethics to give a buffer to a property line any time, but it's also important when decoying turkeys with a Heads Up Decoy. If you crowd a fenced property line, the birds WILL hang up for sure strutting on the opposite side fence leaving you in misery. If you back off 80+ yards the birds will go under the fence and come charging or strutting into bow range. It was a great day and it was good to be relaxed and in the middle of the action.

Here are some images of the the spring thus far...Pic heavy.

















Loud Mouth Hen from Heads Up Decoy on Vimeo.

Heads Up Decoy Turkey Charge....short video from Heads Up Decoy on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely awful. You all should be ashamed of killing such gorgeous and majestic creatures. Turn into photography instead! Praying for you low self esteem! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete